How about an option to turn off full-text search?
I know non-indexed search is slower, but it's also much lower maintenance and much more reliable (less prone to bugs at least). With AJAX, it shouldn't be too complicated to let the search go on "background", showing current hits so far. Same for backlinks.
Thanks of a LOT for DokuWiki!!! I've been using it since 2005/02/14 (DW release 2005-02-06). Upon upgrade tests into DW release 2006-03-09, however I've discovered that:
- Backlinks do not work reliably
- I'm no longer able to search properly for IP address (due to fulltext search design)
The most serious problem is backlinks. I use this information for dependency control between software components (each component has its own Wiki page). In release 2005-02-06 this works 100%, even if it's not lightning fast. I have now 750 wiki pages.
In new release 2006-03-09, even though re-index works OK (I was able to use both command-line and AJAX re-indexing), the backlinks do not show up properly.
Actually, AJAX and other improved tidbits are my only reason to upgrade. My DW is a patched 2005-02-06 release, patched mainly in access control. I don't use ACL, but instead Microsoft IIS authentication + (automatic user impersonation) + NTFS permissions to decide who can edit, read, or not even read certain pages (access control is folder/namespace level).
I'm a bit worried about the future of DokuWiki. Release 2006-03-09 is already much more complex than release 2005-02-06, and I see comments about querying metadata, fulltext index design, etc.
I believe DW is now trying to get into areas which definitely require a database to work properly. Reinventing it in plain PHP code seems strange.
That said, DW design is just simply great. I love it! And even if don't appreciate the usermanager plugin, etc., I fully understand that most people do.
Additional details on the backlinks issue:
It's not that backlinks are not displayed at all (that would be less serious for me).
The problem is that not *all* backlinks are displayed.
Strangely, when I browse to pages that do have a backlink to page A,
and then browse back to A and show its backlinks, all pages that I browsed
before show up properly as they should.
Discovered why the backlinks were only semi-working: only *.i cache files (instructions) were being checked.
I tried to change the method call of p_cached_instructions to build the cache if needed (from ft_backlinks function),
but this seems to create an awful amount of corrupted *.i files.
In short, apparently the backlinks problem I've encountered doesn't have anything to do with fulltext (it only detects
pagenames from there, apparently), but rather with the fact that page parse instructions only get cached when someone browses the page.
I'll check if it's possible to modify searchindex plugin to cause parse instruction cache writing also.
Will wait for next DokuWiki release before trying again.
Maybe backlinks re-creation will work wihout corruption.
I would close the request myself, but it seems I don't have permissions to do so...
Please feel free to close/disregard this request.
I will close this as Won't implement. Just two notes: You can serch for IP addresses by surrounding them with quotes, eg: "220.127.116.11", the backlink problem is known and partly fixed in the latest release candidate.